- The Man: Do you ever wish you would die?
Old Man: No. It's foolish to ask for luxuries in times like these.
- The Gang Member: You ain't gonna shoot that thing. You ain't got but two shells. Maybe one. And they'll hear the shot.
The Man: Maybe. But you won't. Because that bullet will be through your head and in your brain before you can hear it. To hear it, you'll need a frontal lobe, and things with names like "colliculus" and "temporal gyrus". And you won't have 'em anymore, because they'll just be soup.
The Gang Member: You a doctor?
The Man: I'm not anything.
- The Man: You think I won't kill you? You're wrong.
The Gang Member: You know what I think? I think you're chicken-shit. You never killed a man in your life.
- The Man: If I were God, I would have made the world just so and no different. And so I have you... I have you.
- The Man: You have to keep carrying the fire.
The Boy: What fire?
The Man: The fire inside you.
- The Man: You look at him again, I'll shoot you in the head.
The Gang Member: That boy looks hungry. Why don't ya'll come on to the truck? Get you somethin' to eat. Ain't no need to be such a hard-ass.
The Man: You don't have anything to eat.
- The Man: I told the boy when you dream about bad things happening, it means you're still fighting and you're still alive. It's when you start to dream about good things that you should start to worry.
- The Man: I will kill anyone who touches you. Because that's my job.